Saturday, May 6, 2017

I WOULD HAVE BEEN A SOCIAL WORKER

If I weren't a doctor, I would have been a social worker.


 

I am a government employee and proud of it.  My motives for medical training has always been to minister to the sick and the poor, and to maximize application of all the training I have received.

If I were not a doctor, I would have joined a religious order to become a missionary nun, but God led me to a different path, to a different vocation.  

If I were not a doctor, I would have headed west to train further in biochemistry or molecular biology to become a scientist/researcher.  There have been a number of opportunities for me to travel and to train and to work abroad, I would have chosen to work in global public health, but I chose to stay here at home where it is warm, and where I feel I am needed more.

If I were not a doctor, I would have been content to become a farmer, on a plot of land I could call my own where I could teach children in the community to learn to love their culture, their land, their heritage.

With the experience in community development through The Share A Child Movement, Inc - I realize that I when I retire from my medical career, I can be a social worker and continue to advocate for children's rights and devote my time ensuring that poor but deserving children are provided the opportunity to complete their education to break the cycle of poverty.  Maybe I would consider seriously using tri-media and social media to advocate awareness regarding issues that threaten the children's well-being: drug abuse, teenage pregnancy, HIV/AIDS.

For now, I am content being an active obstetrician-gynecologist, a medical educator, a research enthusiast and a social media activist.


No comments:

Post a Comment