Saturday, February 2, 2019

CONNECT: Rest, Reflect and Reset

 REST, REFLECT, RESET

For someone who is always on the go, I find it so difficult to stay put. I guess I wouldn't put it past my doctors to admit me to the hospital just to force me to stay in bed, complete bed rest without bathroom privileges. As my resident trainee Sittie would say, she would sedate me just to make sure I take my rest...

The day after my discharge, I stayed home, but not in bed. I spent the day with my niece and I felt thankful that she appreciated my presence despite her willfulness.  While she enjoyed watching videos naked, I made test questions for the next day's examinations - a simple activity that soothed and relaxed me, making me weird that way.  It was a day for resting.



The next day we spent visiting our pigs, ducks, dogs and goats at the farm in Carcar City.  It was an extended day to spend with family and to enjoy what we have.  It was a day for reflecting.



This morning, after dropping off my sister in law and my niece to attend her ballet class, I joined the mothers (and father) of our scholars during the parents' meeting.  It seemed like fate's joke that their chosen topic was about kidney health.  A mother of a scholar with nephrotic syndrome prepared "bam-i" pancit for us, while another gave a well-researched lecture with Manila paper visual aids and another shared her experiences and challenges in taking care of a chronic kidney disease patient. 


We talked about things to avoid to maintain healthy kidneys, like too much salt, processed foods, high potassium-containing foods, sugar and soda.  We also did a 5-minute zumba dance session to encourage exercise and active lifestyle without being strenous, just to keep moving!


It seemed so weird that I was the medical doctor, and yet these were mothers and housewives telling me how they worry about their children eating right.  They said that the healthiest food is the food that we prepare ourselves.  I think of my mother who prepares my baon everyday and complains that I eat out anyway.  I remember how mad she would get if I don't finish all the food she prepares.  I just hope that she doesn't give up on me, no matter how she berates me that I am physically older than she is.  This is definitely a day for resetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment