Monday, September 9, 2019

Calm in Every Situation


I had a long day today with total hysterectomy for a VIP patient. I took my lunch at 4pm. After my driver fetched me from the hospital using our brand new crimson red Toyota Hilux, I asked to drive to buy fish and seedlings downtown.  The fish store was closing so we parked at the nearest corner, saying the sidewalk vendors that we will just take a few minutes.

I was happy with my purchase of three koi fishes and 6 baby sharks.  We were slowly turning onto the street when a karomata failed to stop and hit our right front bumper.


Ouch! That was my thought bubble at that moment... Not even a week from the car dealer and my bumper is deformed! I hadn't even started paying for the downpayments yet, nor for the insurance... Yes, this was something MaJian would describe as "ouchy" especially when the first thing the kargador blurted out was "wala koy kwarta..." I interviewed him a bit and learned that he was from Lantad, Naga, Cebu and had just travelled to work in the market area. He didn't have a singlr coin to his name. He had just started with his first cargo.

A crowd of uziseros were gathering around us, and a group of vendors were starting to turn the story around saying that it was our fault for parking in that area when it was near 6pm already when the night market was about to set up.  It was in fact still light out when we started to leave. Realizing we weren't getting anything from the errant kargador,  we extracted a promise for him to be more careful next time, took a selfie for good measure and shook hands.


Thankful that nobody was hurt in the incident (except our pride and my pocket)... Thank God!

Lesson learned: do not bring an expensive vehicle in a busy market where streets are dominated by pushcarts, and always keep calm in every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment